Thursday, February 5, 2009

Week 5 - Feb 5

Counseling triad tonight was challenging, in a really excellent way. Not using questions was really tough. I found myself repeating many of the same statements over-and-over again. I never realized how much I relied on questions. I know that most of the 'intents and responses' we have are statements, but I think in this type of situation my natural reaction is to ask questions. I was a little bummed I went first, because after hearing Lucinda I realized some other ways I could have responded without the questions.

It kind of reminded me about a principle in art, where the rules - or restrictions - can, instead of hindering creativity, actually enhance, or even inspire, creativity. Not being able to ask a question forced me to pay closer attention to what Lucinda was saying, and then to take a second to formulate a response. It helped me stay focused, and to listen more intently.

I still feel like I take too long in forming a response. I don't think I'm reflecting back what the client said enough. The MI book shows examples where it seems like the counselor repeats back almost exactly what was said to them, and while this seems almost silly, I see how well this may actually work in encouraging the client to give more info.

I again was reminded that I don't know the intents/responses as well as I could. I think about this every time I begin as an observer trying to identify the intents. I think I know what the "spirit of the intents" are, but I don't have them fully committed to memory. And perhaps I should, and perhaps I will. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment